How To: Redirect ArcMap temporary print files
When printing with ArcMap, temporary print files are created in %TEMP%. Printing errors can occur if %TEMP% is on a drive with inadequate space.
Create a new key in the registry to redirect all printing temporary files to a new location.
Warning: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions; therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
Note: ArcPress for ArcMap also writes all temporary files to PRINTTMPDIR even if an APRESSTMPDIR is set.
- Close ArcMap if it is open.
- Click Start > Run.
- In the Open field, type regedit and click OK.
- Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > ESRI > ArcMap > Settings.
- With Settings selected, click Edit > New > String Value.
- Name the new String PRINTTMPDIR.
- Double-click the PRINTTMPDIR string name to open the Edit String window.
- For the Value Data field, type the pathname of the directory for the temporary files. For example
- Click OK and Exit the Registry Editor.
Warning: Be very careful not to modify anything in the registry except for the entries indicated above. The integrity of the operating system can be seriously compromised by modifying the wrong entries.