Error: Unable to grant log on as service rights to DOMAIN\USERNAME
When installing ArcIMS on a Backup Domain Controller (BDC), the following error may occur:
"Unable to grant log on as service rights to DOMAIN\USERNAME"
This is a known issue related to non-synchronized NT user accounts.
Solution or Workaround
Perform a custom installation of ArcIMS on a BDC, as described here:
- IMPORTANT! Before installing ArcIMS, a complete synchronization of user accounts across all domain controllers must occur. For details, see the link in Related Information below.
- Start the ArcIMS installation and select Custom Install.
- When prompted to select ArcIMS Components, click the Options button to the right of Application Server Connectors.
- Uncheck Servlet Connector in the subwindow that appears. All four items in the subwindow should now be unchecked. Click OK to close the subwindow.
- Proceed with the installation.
You may recieve the "unable to grant..." error message again. Ignore it and proceed with the installation.
- When the installation is complete, reboot the machine.
- Start the ArcIMS installation again and click Custom Install.
- When prompted to select ArcIMS Components, uncheck everything except for Application Server Connectors.
If you want to install other connectors besides the default Servlet Connector, click the Options button and select the connectors you wish to install.
- Continue with the installation and reboot when finished. This completes the custom installation of ArcIMS on a BDC.