Problem: Transparent fills print solid
The background of a polygon theme appears transparent on the screen, but becomes solid when printed. This usually occurs when using hatch patterns from the default fill palette.
The printer and its driver do not support PostScript.
- Load the vector fills contained in the ArcView palette file located at \esri\av_gis30\arcview\symbols\carto.avp.
Steps to load a palette file.
- Select Show Symbol window from the Window menu.
- Click the Palette Manager button located on the far right of the palette window.
- Click the Load button and navigate to the ArcView Palette file (*.avp) location. This is usually the \ESRI\AV_GIS30\ArcView\Symbols folder.
- Select the palette file and click OK.
- Click the Make Default button if you want the symbols added by the palette file to be available the next time you start ArcView.
Palette manager screen capture
- Resymbolize the polygon theme with the carto fills added to the end of the palette.
The carto fills start with a horizontal line pattern.
ArcView ArcPress will also resolve this issue.
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000002019
Software: ArcView GIS 3.3, 3.2a, 3.2, 3.1