Problem: Marker symbols appear as strange characters
Marker symbol palette displays strange font symbols such as "#", "$", "&", etc.
Corrupt True Type fonts.
Solution or Workaround
- Reinstall all ESRI True Type fonts.
Fonts may not be accessible through ArcMap, because the fonts may not have been installed correctly, or they may have become corrupted.
- Disable any anti-virus software on the system.
- Open the Control Panel by way of Start > Programs.
- Double-click the Fonts folder icon.
- Select the fonts to re-install.
- Select Copy from the Edit menu.
- Navigate to the C:\ drive using Windows Explorer.
- Select Paste from the Edit menu to Paste the selected fonts to the C:\ drive.
- Select 'Install New Font' from the File menu on the open Fonts folder.
- Navigate to C:\ in Windows Explorer.
- Select the TTF files pasted to C:\ in the 'List of fonts' selection box.
- Click OK.
Note: Reboot the system to initialize the fonts.
Warning: The Windows operating system stores a registry entry for each font installed on the computer. This registry entry is retained, even if a font is removed from the C:\WINNT\fonts or C:\Windows\fonts folder. Windows does not permit a font with the same name to be reinstalled on the computer.
Note: Windows 2000 cannot install the new font if the font already exists. A message that the font is already installed will result. Prior to installing the new version, remove the old version.