Error: FLEXlm Error: -15 Cannot connect to license server
The following error message displays when starting an ArcGIS Desktop application:
"FLEXlm Error: Cannot connect to license server. The server (lmgrd) has not been started yet, or the wrong port@host or license file is being used, or the port or hostname in the license file has been changed.
Server name: server1
License path:[Below are examples only]
FLEXlm error: -15,10. System Error: 10061 "WinSock: Connection refused"
For further information, refer to the FLEXlm End User Manual,
available at "www.globetrotter.com".
Program not run."
ArcGIS cannot connect to and check out a license from a license server.
Solution or Workaround
- First, verify that the License Path indicated in the error message is the correct host name or IP address of the license manager system. If the License Path is 'Not_Set', then Desktop Administrator has not been configured with the location of the License Manager.
<a href='https://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/26572' target='_blank'>FAQ: Why is 'Not_Set' listed in the Desktop Administrator License Manager folder?</a>
- If the 'License Path' is correct, then the license manager may not be running. If the license manager system cannot be accessed, contact a license administrator for assistance. Otherwise, perform the following troubleshooting steps on the license manager system.
- Restart the License Manager:
Click Start > Programs > ArcInfo > License Manager > License Manager Tools.
Check the Configuration using Services radio button.
Select the Start/Stop/Reread tab.
Click Stop Server.
Click Start Server.
- Perform a Status Enquiry to confirm that the licenses are available:
Click the Server Status tab and click the 'Perform status enquiry' button. 'Display Everything' should be selected.
Verify that there are no errors in the status enquiry.
<a href='https://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/37583' target='_blank'>[O] LMStatus</a>
- Check the license manager log file for any errors.
On the Config Services tab, click View Log.
<a href='https://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/21944' target='_blank'>Problem: Messages in the license manager log file</a>
- If the status enquiry and log files do not indicate any errors, there may be a firewall running on the license manager system.
<a href='https://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/26134' target='_blank'>How To: Configure Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall to work with the License Manager</a>
- If issues persist, contact ESRI Support for further assistance.