Windows close while trying to start PC ARC/INFO or DAK, or while running a command or sml.
Warning: WARNING: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary.
ESRI cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions. Therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
1. Run C:\arcexe\install\ARCCHK.exe to set all the environment variables. If all set correctly, a DOS window will appear and disappear. If there is a problem, the DOS window will stay with a message explaining where the problem is.
2. Check the following environmental system variables:
PATH C:\ARCEXE\CMD SET ARC=C:\ARCEXE SET CGIPATH=C:\ARCEXE\CGI SET WKSPDIR=C:\TEMPSET WKSP=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx . . . <- 80-100 x characters
To define these variables:
Windows 95 & 98: Click Start > Run, type systedit to get to the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.
Windows NT: Click Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click the System icon and select the Environment tab.
Note: Make sure the ARCEXE\CMD path is defined before the network and system path variables.
3. Load ARCW.BAT into a text editor and find these lines:
ARC %0 %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 go to done
Change them to:
IF A%OS% == AWindows_NT go to NT ARC %0 %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 go to done :NT CMD /C ARC %0 %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 go to done
Find and REMark this line:
REM SET DOSX=-PRIVEC 5
4. Make sure these lines exist in the CONFIG.SYS and CONFIG.NT files:
DOS=UMB,HIGH FILES=40 BUFFERS=60 REM SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:1024 /P
5. Make sure the TEMP directory exists and is located on a drive with enough disk space (15-20 times coverage file size).
6. Make sure the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM.INI file contains these lines: