Is This Content Helpful?
We're glad to know this article was helpful.
How do I install and configure PC ARC/INFO for Windows NT 4?
First, install PC ARC/INFO using the following steps:
1) Load the PC ARC/INFO CD in your CD drive.
2) Run the SETUP.EXE program from the CD to install PC ARC/INFO on your hard disk.
Once you have successfully installed PC ARC/INFO (i.e. without any install errors), see if the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files are present in your system. If so, it is recommended that you save them under different names (e.g. AUTOEXEC.OLD and CONFIG.OLD) or make sure that there are no PC ARC/INFO variables set in these files.
You may also REMark the following lines in the Autoexec.bat:
SET PATH ...
SET ARC ...
SET WKSPDIR ...
SET WSKP ...
Now perform the following steps:
1) PC ARC/INFO installation generally sets up all the environment variables. To ensure that they are set properly, open the SYSTEM control panel (found under START | SETTINGS | CONTROL PANEL) and in the 'SYSTEM PROPERTIES' dialog box select ENVIRONMENT. Use the "VARIABLE" and "VALUE" edit boxes to create/modify the following environment variables. Click on the "SET" button once you have made an entry for the "VARIABLE" and "VALUE" edit boxes. You will need to RESTART your computer for these settings to become active.
a) ARC - Set to "C:\ARCEXE" directory
It is highly recommended that you install PC ARC/INFO in the C:\ARCEXE directory. If you install PC ARC/INFO in a nested sub-directory structure, it may not run properly.
b) CGIPATH - Set to "C:\ARCEXE\CGI"
c) PATH - Modify to INCLUDE the path to the "C:\ARCEXE\CMD" directory
Make sure that C:\ARCEXE\CMD appears at the BEGINNING of the path rather than at the end. Regardless of whether you install as Administrator or as user, set the PATH in the system environment variables, rather than the User variables.
d) NOLOG - Set to "YES"
e) WKSPDIR - Set to the location of the temporary workspace directory to
"C:\TEMP\" (it MUST end with a backslash)
f) WKSP - Set to contain 70 "X's"
If you want all users to be able to run PC ARC/INFO you need to be logged on as the system "Administrator" (all settings will be reflected in the "SYSTEM ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES:" section), while installing/configuring PC ARC/INFO. Otherwise only the user making the edits will be able to run PC ARC/INFO (all settings will be reflected in the "USER ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES FOR ..." section). The latter is recommended to avoid problems that may affect all users.
When finished editing, the "VARIABLE" and "VALUE" edit boxes will look like this:
Choose APPLY when done. Then touch on the 'PERFORMANCE' tab. In the section entitled 'Application Performance' ensure that the slider bar is set to MAXIMUM for "Boost:". Choose APPLY when done.
2) Load the CONFIG.NT file (typically found under C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32) into any ASCII text editor (such as Dos EDIT or NOTEPAD or WORDPAD) and REMARK the "shell" statement. After the change, the statement should look like this:
REM shell=C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\command.com /p /e:4096
Save the Config.NT file.
3) SHUTDOWN & REBOOT in Windows NT so that the configuration changes take effect.
4) Start PC ARC/INFO.
If you are not familiar with the NT operating system, you may ask your NT System Administrator to assist you making the above changes.
It is recommended that you launch the Windows modules (ArcW, ArcPlotW, Wshell, etc.) using the icons.