Is This Content Helpful?
We're glad to know this article was helpful.
Why does starting ArcInfo 8.0.1 return "FATAL ERROR Segmentation Violation"?
An entry in the license file FEATURE or UPGRADE line is incorrect.
The license file(s) have "vendor info" in the FEATURE line. The correct entry should be "vendor_info" (with the underscore). To correct, edit the license file(s) and restart the license manager.
FEATURE ARC/INFO ESRI 8.01 01-jan-00 1 3BFF602151F669CB9349 vendor info="8CDZFL7B5R6G6RH9L023" ck=15
FEATURE ARC/INFO ESRI 8.01 01-jan-00 1 3BFF602151F669CB9349 vendor_info="8CDZFL7B5R6G6RH9L023" ck=15
On Windows NT:
1. Open Start > Settings > Control Panel > Services
2. Highlight the "ESRI License Manager" service
3. Click on "Stop" to stop the ESRI License Manger
4. Open an NT Explorer window and navigate to C:\Program Files\ESRI\License.
5. Edit each *.lic file in Notepad and replace "vendor info" with
6. In Services, click on "Start" to start the ESRI License Manager
Arc will now start without the "FATAL ERROR" message.
1. Navigate to the directory where the license file is stored
% cd $ARCHOME/sysgen
2. Become root or the owner of the license manager daemons
3. Stop the License Manager
# ./lmutil lmdown -n -c license.dat
4. Edit the license.dat file and replace "vendor info" with "vendor_info"
# vi license.dat
5. Start the License Manager
# ./lmgrd -c license.dat > license.log
Arc will now start correctly.