ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 Web Adaptor (IIS) .NET 4 Support and Trust Patch
This optional patch provides support for Microsoft .NET 4.x with the IIS Web Adaptor. The Web Adaptor can now be configured to target .NET version 4.0 application pools in IIS when previously, only .NET version 2.0 application pools were supported. This patch also addresses an issue where the Web Adaptor could only communicate with ArcGIS for Server when the Microsoft .NET Trust Level of the Web Adaptor application was set to a level of Full (Internal).Description
- Issues Addressed with this Patch
- Files Installed in this Patch
- Installing this Patch on Windows
- Patch Updates
- How to identify which ArcGIS products are installed
- Getting Help
Esri® announces the ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 Web Adaptor (IIS) .NET 4 Support and Trust Patch. This patch provides support for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 and 4.5, plus .NET Trust support for the High and Medium levels with the IIS Web Adaptor. It deals specifically with the issues listed below under Issues Addressed with this Patch.
.NET Framework 4 Support
The Web Adaptor can now be configured to target .NET version 4.0 application pools in IIS when previously, only .NET version 2.0 application pools were supported.
To take advantage of this patch after installing it, you will first need to install .NET Framework Version 4.0 or 4.5.
Next, you will change the version of the Web Adaptor application pool from version 2.0 to 4.0 following these steps:
- Open Internet Information Systems (IIS) Manager.
- In the Connections pane, click Application Pools.
- Right-click the ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool application and select Advanced Settings.
- In the General section, change the .NET Framework Version to v4.0.
- Click OK.
High and Medium Trust Level Support
The Web Adaptor can now optionally be used with a Microsoft .NET Trust Level of High or Medium for those customers that have this security requirement.
Full Trust continues to be required when initially configuring the Web Adaptor with ArcGIS for Server. Once configured, the Web Adaptor can then be changed to use a .NET Trust Level of High or Medium from that point forward.
To take advantage of this patch after installing it, temporarily set the Trust level of the Web Adaptor application to Full in IIS. (If the trust level assigned to the Web Adaptor is set to High or Medium when opening the configuration page, you'll see an error message stating that Full Trust is temporarily required. If the trust is set to Low or Minimal, the configuration page will fail to open. Again, a Trust level of Full is temporarily required.) The steps to modify this in IIS are:
- Open Internet Information Systems (IIS) Manager.
- In the Connections pane, click Sites.
- Select the Web Adaptor application you want to configure.
- Double-click the .NET Trust Levels icon.
- Select Full (internal) in the Trust Level dropdown.
- Click Apply in the Actions pane.
Next, configure the Web Adaptor with your ArcGIS Server.
To finish, set the .NET Trust Level of the Web Adaptor to High or Medium and proceed with having client applications send requests through the Web Adaptor.
For full discussion of .NET Trust Levels, see the following topics in the ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS) installation guide:
- NIM085761 - Update the IIS Web Adaptor to support .NET Framework 4.x.
- NIM089344 - IIS Web Adaptor throws a security exception when .NET Trust Level is set to any value other than Full (Internal) trust.
ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 Web Adaptor (IIS) must be installed before you can install this patch.
- Download the appropriate file to a location other than your ArcGIS installation location.
- Make sure you have write access to your ArcGIS installation location.
- Double-click ArcGIS-101SP1-WAI-N4ST-Patch.msp to start the install process.
NOTE: If double clicking on the MSP file does not start the setup installation, you can start the setup installation manually by using the following command:
msiexec.exe /p [location of Patch]\ArcGIS-101SP1-WAI-N4ST-Patch.msp
|ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS)||ArcGIS-101SP1-WAI-N4ST-Patch.msp||8599340FF56BCB9D4B434F15B08B390F|
While installing the patch, IIS will be restarted and resources accessed through the Web Adaptor will be temporarily unavailable.
If a machine has multiple IIS Web Adaptors installed on it, launching the patch will trigger the installation wizard to run once for each Installed Web Adaptor. You will need to click the Update and Finish buttons for each Web Adaptor being updated.
After applying the patch to a Web Adaptor, you may choose to install additional Web Adaptors. Installing additional Web Adaptors will require applying the patch again. Until the patch is applied again, opening the configuration page for a new Web Adaptor will fail with an IIS error.
After applying the patch, you do not need to open the configuration page to register the Web Adaptor again.
Check the Patches and Service Packs page periodically for the availability of additional patches. New information about this patch will be posted here.
To determine which ArcGIS products are installed, choose the appropriate version of the PatchFinder utility for your environment and run it from your local machine. PatchFinder will list all products, hot fixes, and patches installed on your local machine.
Domestic sites, please contact Esri Technical Support at 1-888-377-4575, if you have any difficulty installing this patch. International sites, please contact your local Esri software distributor.