ArcSDE 9.3.1 SQL Server 2000 Permissions Patch
This patch resolves an issue introduced at 9.3.1. SQL Server 2000 users who are members of roles such as sysadmin, db_owner or db_datareader can automatically see all data in the database. At 9.3.1 this permission is no longer honored by ArcSDE and when these users connect they no longer see any data unless it is owned by them. We recommend that all SQL Server 2000 users download and install this Patch at their earliest convenience to resolve this issue.Description
- Issues Addressed with this Patch
- Files Installed in this Patch
- Installing this Patch
- Patch Updates
- How to identify which Patch is installed
- Getting Help
ESRI products connecting to ArcSDE (application server and direct connections)
ESRI® announces the ArcSDE 9.3.1 SQL Server 2000 Permissions Patch. This patch fixes an issue with SQL Server 2000 users who are members of database or server roles not being able to see data that they do not own. We recommend that anyone using ArcSDE 9.3.1 with SQL Server 2000 download and install this patch at their earliest convenience. It deals specifically with the issues listed below under Issues Addressed with this Patch.
- NIM045639 - Users who are members of database or server roles like sysadmin or db_datareader cannot see data that they do not own.
Description: At ArcSDE 9.3.1, users who inherit permissions from membership in SQL Server roles such as sysadmin (DBO), db_owner, or db_datareader can no longer see data that they do not own and have not been explicitly granted SELECT permission on. This affects SQL Server 2000 only. Applying the Permissions patch will resolve this problem, allowing users to see data correctly again.
Since this Patch replaces 9.3.1 files, you must have ArcSDE 9.3.1 before you can install this Patch.
- Install this Patch using an administrator account. Make sure you have write access to the ArcSDE installation folder, and that no one is using ArcSDE.
- Download the appropriate file to a location other than your ArcSDE installation location.
ArcSDE Server sde931-sqlpatch-sql-win.EXE 2 MB ArcSDE Server SDK sde931-sqlpatch-sdk-win.EXE 4 MB
- Double-click sde931-sqlpatch-sql-win.EXE or sde931-sqlpatch-sdk-win.EXE to start the install process.
- When Setup starts, follow the instructions on your screen.
- Server Only: As the ArcSDE administrative user, run the following command to restart the ArcSDE service:
c:\sdemon -o start
- If you connect to ArcSDE 9.3.1 using ArcGIS 9.3.1, ArcIMS 9.3.1, or ArcInfo
Workstation 9.3, please follow the steps below to install this Patch to your ArcGIS 9.3.1, ArcIMS 9.3.1, or ArcInfo Workstation
9.3 installation folder:
- Before you start, make sure you have write access to the installation
folder, then download the zip file to that location:
sde931-sqlpatch-esri-win.zip 3 MB
- ArcIMS only, stop the ArcIMS Tasker, ArcIMS Monitor, ArcIMS Application Server (in that order).
- Extract the new files from sde931-sqlpatch-esri-win.zip to the appropriate installation folder, see list below:
- ArcGIS Desktop, Server, Engine, Reader, or ArcView 9 - <installation-folder>\arcgis\bin
- ArcGIS Workstation - <installation-folder>\arcexe9x\bin
- Depending on the ArcIMS Setup features installed, SDE client files could be located in one or more of the following locations:
- ArcIMS only, restart ArcIMS Application Server, ArcIMS Monitor and ArcIMS Tasker (in that order).
Check Online Support Center periodically for the availability of additional patches. New information about this Patch will be posted here.
May 12, 2010 - This patch will be included in the next available Service Pack or Major Release.
To find out what products and which patches are currently installed on your machine, download
the PatchFinder931.exe utility
and run it from your local machine.
Domestic sites, please contact ESRI Technical Support at 1-888-377-4575, if you have any difficulty installing this Service Pack. International sites, please contact your local ESRI software distributor.