|Submitted||Jul 02, 2015|
|Modified||Jul 25, 2018|
|Applies To||ArcGIS Online|
Allow web appbuilder applications to show map service and feature service of the same service as one layer similar to how it works in ArcGIS online map viewer content.
- What is the workflow and use case we are using this functionality for ?
Feature services provide the ability for users to edit records but do not allow for advanced labeling or advanced symbolization. Advanced labeling and symbolization is gained via the map service capabilities. Therefore, if I want both the edit capabilities as well as the advanced labeling/symbolization capabilities, I have to add both service types to my web map. In ArcGIS Online this can easily be done. When both services are added to ArcGIS Online, the layers within the service are grouped as they would be with a map service and the edit function is still available via the Edit button. This works well in ArcGIS Online map viewer but when the same web map is used in ArcGIS Collector, a user can see that each layer within the feature service is added individually and the map service with the grouped layers is also added. Also, if the user turns off the map service grouping in ArcGIS Collector, the records no longer display in the map. This same behavior is seen in the Web App Builder.
Similar to the behavior seen in the ArcGIS Online Viewer and the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex, it would be great if the map and feature services were combined so there is only a single grouping of the service's layers instead of the individual feature service layers and another layer that has all the layers grouped for the map service.
- What is the problem the Enhancement will re-solve?
This enhancement would allow users to have both the feature and map service capabilities together in a single service grouping. Currently, end users might get confused by having the individual layers of the feature service as well as the grouped map service layers together in a web map.
- What are the benefits that would result from the enhancement?
Users would be able to have both map and feature service capabilities within a web map in Collector or WAB and not have to deal with multiple copies of the same layers within the web map.
- How critical is the Enhancement to your organization ?
We are an engineering firm with over 100 ArcGIS Online users. Field crews require the ability to edit and have advanced labeling/symbolization within the web map. Whether this is in Collector or Web App Builder, it would be necessary to have both of the capabilities in the same application without requiring duplicate layers.
- How do you believe this Enhancement may benefit other organizations?
I imagine other organizations struggle with this same issue of wanting both map and feature capabilities without having the layer multiple times.
- Navigate to map viewer on ArcGIS Online.
- Add the following map service and feature service to the map viewer:
- The ArcGIS Online map viewer shows only one layer in content, however both the services are present at the back end.
- Save and share this webmap as an application.
- The application shows all the feature layers for feature service and the mapservice.
- This according to user causes confusion.