Problem: The hosted feature layer is unable to load in ArcGIS Online
Hosting a feature layer in ArcGIS Online allows the hosted feature layer to be conveniently shared and accessed on the internet. In certain circumstances, the hosted feature layer is unable to load without any error message, and some hosted feature layers return the following generic error message:
Error: An error occurred loading this layer
- The browser cache is preventing the hosted feature layer from loading.
- The hosted feature layer is corrupted.
Solution or Workaround
Depending on the cause, follow either of the workarounds below to resolve the issue.
Clear the browser cache
Clearing the browser cache helps fix problems such as loading and formatting issues. For instance, refer to Google Account Help: Clear cache & cookies for instructions to clear the cache from the Google Chrome browser.
Alternatively, refer to How to clear the Firefox cache or Delete cache and cookies in the new Microsoft Edge for instructions to clear the cache from the Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge browser.
Overwrite the hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Pro to replace the corrupted layer
Overwriting an existing web feature layer enables the changes made to be reflected in its GIS resource or source data. Follow the steps below to overwrite the hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online.
- Log in to the ArcGIS Online account.
- Click Content > My Content.
- Browse to and click the hosted feature layer to open its item details page.
- On the item details page, click the Settings tab.
- Under Feature Layer (hosted), in the Editing section, uncheck the Enable Sync (require for offline use and collaboration). check box to disable sync.
- Click Save.
- Overwrite the feature layer in ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online. Refer to ArcGIS Pro: Overwrite a web feature layer for more information.
- ArcGIS Online: Hosted layers
- ArcGIS Online: Hosted layer management
- ArcGIS Online: Manage hosted feature layers
- How To: Overwrite hosted feature services from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online using Python
- ArcGIS Pro: 001989: Service cannot be overwritten if Sync is enabled and replicas exist.
- Esri Community: Cannot overwrite HFS with views?
Last Published: 11/23/2022
Article ID: 000028732
Software: ArcGIS Online Current