Problem: Unable to search for text in an exported PDF from ArcGIS Pro
In ArcGIS Pro, maps can be exported as a PDF file that are designed to be consistently viewable and printable across different platforms. To search for a specific keyword in a PDF file, the Search or Find box is used in a PDF reader.
After exporting a map to PDF from ArcGIS Pro, texts from labels on the map cannot be searched from the Search or Find box in a PDF reader, as shown in the next image, where Adobe Acrobat returns the error message:
Adobe Acrobat has finished searching the document. No matches were found.
The ‘Output as image’ check-box was checked in the Export Map Properties pane before exporting the map as a PDF.
Solution or Workaround
Ensure that the Output as image check-box is unchecked in the Export Map dialog box before exporting the map as a PDF.
- Open the ArcGIS project.
- Navigate to Share > Export Map.
- In the Export Map pane, for File Type, select PDF.
- For Name, specify a name and location to save the output PDF file.
- For Compression, uncheck the Output as image check-box.
- Ensure that the Export georeference information check-box is checked, as shown in the next image.
- Click Export.
Labels can now be searched using the Find box in the PDF reader as shown in the image below.
- ArcGIS Pro: Share your work in ArcGIS Pro
- ArcGIS Pro: Export to PDF
- ArcGIS Pro: Introduction to export a map or layout
Last Published: 5/24/2022
Article ID: 000027716
Software: ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2, 2.9.1, 2.9, 2.8.6, 2.8.5, 2.8.4, 2.8.3, 2.8.2, 2.8.1, 2.8, 2.7.6, 2.7.5, 2.7.4, 2.7.3, 2.7.2, 2.7.1, 2.7