Problem: Unable to create offline areas on web maps in ArcGIS Online
Offline map areas in ArcGIS Online are designed for offline data editing in ArcGIS apps such as ArcGIS Field Maps or ArcGIS Survey123. This way, field workers or data editors have access to them when working in remote places without internet connection. In some cases, offline map areas cannot be created in ArcGIS Online, and the following error message is returned:
Additionally, in the ArcGIS Field Maps web app, the Offline toggle button is disabled, and the following message is returned:
Error: An item in this map needs to be updated to enable offline mode
To create offline map areas on a web map, the layers and map must be enabled for offline use. However, in some cases, offline map areas cannot be created on web maps due to the following reasons:
- The transformation of the map is set to 'GDA 1994 to WGS 1984 2' when the web layers are published from ArcGIS Pro. This is a known limitation. Refer to BUG-000142439 for more information.
- A sketch layer is used in the web map. Sketch layers do not support sync, and sync is required to enable the offline mode for the web map.
- The web map contains corrupted or broken layers.
Solution or Workaround
Based on the cause, the following workarounds are applicable.
Change the transformation of the layer
- Open the ArcGIS Pro project containing the feature layers.
- Set the transformation of the map to GDA 1994 to WGS 1984. Refer to ArcGIS Pro: Apply transformations to a map for instructions.
- Share the layers in the map as a web layer. Refer to ArcGIS Pro: Share a web feature layer using the default configuration for instructions.
Remove the sketch layer from the web map
- Log in to ArcGIS Online.
- On the Content page, click the web map.
- On the Overview tab of the item details page, click the Open in Map Viewer option.
- Delete the sketch layers in the web map. Refer to ArcGIS Pro: Manage and organize layers for instructions.
Fix and republish the corrupted and broken layers
Corrupted or broken layers disrupt the creation of offline areas on web maps. To resolve the issue, remove or fix the problematic layers in ArcGIS Pro, and republish them to ArcGIS Online.
Last Published: 6/15/2022
Article ID: 000027715
Software: ArcGIS Online Current ArcGIS Collector (Android) 20.2.2, 20.2.1, 20.2.0, 20.1.0