Problem: The Construct Polygons tool is disabled in ArcGIS Pro
The Construct Polygons tool is used to create new polygons for each closed boundary formed by selected line and polygon features. There are instances where the Construct Polygons tool is disabled in the Modify Features pane or the Construct button is disabled in the Construct Polygons window, as shown in the images below.
- The layer's data source is broken.
- The license used is a Basic license. A Standard or Advanced license is required to use the Construct Polygons tool.
Solution or Workaround
Based on the cause, use one of the following options to enable the Construct Polygons tool.
Repair the broken layer
- Open the ArcGIS Pro project.
- Repair the feature layer that has broken data sources by finding new data sources. Refer to ArcGIS Pro: Repair a broken data source link for a layer or table for instructions.
Upgrade ArcGIS Pro license to Standard or Advanced
Administrators or organization members with privileges to manage licenses must assign the ArcGIS Pro Standard or Advanced license to the member. Refer to ArcGIS Pro: Assign or unassign an ArcGIS Pro add-on license or extension for more information.
For ArcGIS Pro Single Use or Concurrent Use licenses, contact Esri Customer Service to upgrade the license.
Use the Create Features tool
For users with the Basic license, the Create Features tool can be used as an alternative to create polygon features in ArcGIS Pro. Refer to ArcGIS Pro: Create polygon features for instructions.
- ArcGIS Pro: ArcGIS Pro licensing
- ArcGIS Pro: ArcGIS Pro license levels
- ArcGIS Pro: Construct polygons from features
Last Published: 5/18/2022
Article ID: 000027604
Software: ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2, 2.9.1, 2.9, 2.8.6, 2.8.5, 2.8.4, 2.8.3, 2.8.2, 2.8.1, 2.8, 2.7.6, 2.7.5, 2.7.4, 2.7.3, 2.7.2, 2.7.1, 2.7