Problem: Unable to delete a detached item in Portal for ArcGIS
When attempting to delete an item in Portal for ArcGIS, the process fails, returning the following error message:
Error: Item does not exist or is inaccessible. Error: 400
This error is returned when attempting to delete a detached item that does not exist in the portal content directory.
When a delete command is executed from Portal for ArcGIS, the item ID in the ArcGIS Portal Directory content store is cross-referenced with the item ID in the portal's internal database. The error occurs when Portal for ArcGIS cannot identify the item in the content directory.
Solution or Workaround
- Log in to Portal for ArcGIS > My Content.
- Open the Item Details page for the items to be deleted.
- Note the Item ID from the URL for the detached items.
- Navigate to My Content and open the Item Details page of an accessible working web map.
- Note the Item ID from the URL.
- Navigate to the portal content directory and search for the folder that corresponds to the item ID for the working web map.
Note: The portal content directory is commonly found at: <Portal for ArcGIS installation directory>\arcgis\arcgisportal\content\items
- Copy the contents of the folder.
- Create a new folder within the portal content directory and provide a name that matches the item ID to be deleted in Step 2. In this example, the name of the newly created folder is 'e3eb35e9f944472c84dbdbad9dbad2cc'.
- Paste the copied contents of the working web map into the newly created folder.
- Navigate to My Content, select the item to be deleted, and click Delete.
Note: If the problem persists, reindex Portal for ArcGIS, and delete the item. Refer to ArcGIS REST APIs: Reindex for more information.
- Portal for ArcGIS: Understand the relationship between ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Online
- Portal for ArcGIS: Manage content
- Portal for ArcGIS: About the Portal REST API directories
- Error: Item does not exist or is inaccessible
Last Published: 5/10/2022
Article ID: 000024798
Software: Portal for ArcGIS 10.9.1, 10.9, 10.8.1, 10.8, 10.7.1, 10.7