Problem: Unable to use shapefiles added from the Add Data widget in the Smart Editor widget
The Smart Editor widget in Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS fails to load shapefiles added from the Add Data widget.
This is expected behavior. The zipped shapefile added using the Add Data widget is not considered editable. The Smart Editor widget only works with editable layers, which must be set when editing the web app.
Solution or Workaround
As a workaround, publish the shapefiles as hosted feature layers to ArcGIS Online, and recreate the web app.
- Sign in to ArcGIS Online, and publish the shapefiles as hosted feature layers. Refer to ArcGIS Online: Publish a shapefile or GeoJSON file for steps to do this.
Note: Ensure the published hosted feature layers are editable. Refer to ArcGIS Online: Allow others to edit for steps to do this.
- Open the previously created web map, and add the hosted feature layers to the web map through the Search for layers option. Save the web map. Refer to ArcGIS Online: Search for layers for more information.
- Click Share to share the web map, and select Everyone (public).
- Click CREATE A WEB APP to recreate the web app.
- In the Create a New Web App dialog box, click Web AppBuilder and fill in the information. Click GET STARTED.
- In Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS, add the Smart Editor widget to create or edit the features.
The image below shows the Smart Editor dialog box with the editable layers.
- Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS: Add Data widget
- Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS: Smart Editor widget
- ArcGIS Online: Create apps from maps
Last Published: 1/22/2020
Article ID: 000022440
Software: ArcGIS Web AppBuilder Current, 2.9, 2.8, 2.7, 2.6, 2.5, 2.4, 2.3, 2.2, 2.14, 2.13, 2.12, 2.11, 2.10, 2.1, 2.0