FAQ: Is it possible to use Esri basemaps as reference data to create address locators?
Is it possible to use Esri basemaps as reference data to create address locators?
No, Esri basemaps cannot be used as reference data for creating address locators because most Esri basemaps are rasters by default. Address locators can only be created from vector data because it contains the necessary attribute values, such as house numbers or street names, that are used to match the addresses and locations by the address locator.
Use vector data as reference data from the following sources:
- Esri vector basemap group in ArcGIS Online
- Esri Data and Maps
To download a map, follow the steps below:
- Sign in to Esri Accounts.
- Go to My Organization > Download.
- Select the ArcMap version.
- Go to Additional Downloads > Data and Maps for ArcGIS.
- Use the downloaded map as reference data to create an address locator. For more information, refer to the following documentation: Creating an address locator.
- Esri: Basemaps
- ArcMap Help: Preparing reference data
- ArcMap Help: The geocoding framework
- ArcMap Help: Defining the address locator components
Last Published: 6/27/2017
Article ID: 000015332