FAQ: Can ArcSDE command line tools be used against 10.3, 10.3.1, 10.4, 10.4.1 and 10.5 geodatabases?
Can ArcSDE command line tools be used against 10.3, 10.3.1, 10.4, 10.4.1 and 10.5 geodatabases?
ArcSDE administration commands are no longer available beginning with the ArcGIS 10.3 for Server release.
It is recommended that workflows using ArcSDE command line tools are migrated to solutions provided within the user interface for ArcGIS Desktop and the available ArcPy functions.
Note: Functionality of additional workflows that were previously completed using command line tools is continuing to be developed.Here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
- The command line tools are supported to access and interact with geodatabase releases up to version 10.2.2.
- ArcGIS clients can be upgraded to 10.3/10.3.1/10.4/10.4.1/10.5 and still connect to a 10.2.2 geodatabase. See the client and geodatabase compatibility page.
- After upgrading the geodatabase past 10.2.2, it is recommended to use ArcPy functions or tools within the user interface to interact with the geodatabase.
- To review workflows that are currently not available in the user interface for alternative solutions, or to log an enhancement, contact Esri Support Services.
- Command line tools are no longer being released as a download for versions 10.3 and newer, so no fixes will be made for unexpected behavior using these tools.
Note: If there are no current replacements for command line workflows within ArcGIS for Desktop, then the 10.2.2 command line tools will continue to have forward compatibility with 10.3/10.3.1/10.4/10.4.1/10.5 geodatabases with the following limitations:
- The ArcSDE command line tools will only be supported when used as intended, as a stand-alone client application to their ArcGIS geodatabases (which may be a 10.2.2, 10.3, 10.3.1, 10.4, 10.4.1 or 10.5.x geodatabase).
- The libraries are not to be mixed with other ArcGIS applications.
- The commands, for example sdeexport/sdeimport, will only be supported with existing collections of data types that are available with 10.2.2, 10.3, 10.3.1, 10.4, 10.4.1, and 10.5. If new Esri data types are made available in future releases (for example 64-bit integers) these will not be supported.
- The commands will only be supported with direct connect.
- 10.4 Help - Migrate from ArcSDE administration commands
- FAQ: What are the deprecation plans for ArcGIS products?
Last Published: 11/25/2020
Article ID: 000013590
Software: ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Server 10.8.1, 10.8, 10.7.1, 10.7, 10.6.1, 10.6, 10.5.1, 10.5