Patches and updates
Comcat.dll update for Windows Intel NT installation problems
Some software applications are installing incompatible versions of Ole32.dll and Comcat.dll, causing errors with other software applications such as ArcInfo.
For ArcInfo 8.0.1 and 8.0.2
After installing ArcInfo 8.0.1 or 8.0.2, if you get DLL registration errors after reboot, followed by a runtime error, you may have mismatched versions of Ole32.dll and Comcat.dll.
This error will also cause the following problems upon trying to start the applications (e.g. ArcMap or ArcCatalog):
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime Error! Program: C:\arcexe80\bin\ArcMap.exe abnormal program termination
For ArcGIS 8.1
If the files are incompatible when you install, you'll receive a message. If you install something after ArcGIS 8.1 that updates either incorrectly, you may encounter the following error upon trying to start the applications (e.g. ArcMap or ArcCatalog):
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime Error! Program: c:\arcgis\arcexe81\bin\ArcMap.exe abnormal program termination
The compatible versions of these dlls installed by Microsoft Windows NT are:
- Comcat.dll version 4.71 and Ole32.dll version 4.0
To determine the version of these dlls on your machine, right click on the file names (e.g., Comcat.dll and Ole32.dll), located under c:\WINNT\system32, click on Properties, and click on the Version tab.
If you do not have version 4.71 of Comcat.dll, you will need to install it.
To replace the Comcat.dll with the proper version
- If you have already installed ArcInfo, uninstall it.
- Download and unzip the Comcat.dll (ZIP format, 9kb) to your c:\temp folder.
- Open a Command Prompt. Click Start > Programs > Command Prompt, and type
- Change to the location of the system32 folder
- Rename the existing Comcat.dll
ren Comcat.dll Comcat.dll_bak
- Copy the Comcat.dll version 4.71 that you downloaded to thec:\winnt\system32 folder
copy c:\temp\Comcat.dll Comcat.dll
- Close the Command Prompt window by typing exit
- Reboot computer
- Re-install ArcInfo
Get help from ArcGIS experts
Download the Esri Support App