Patches and updates
CASE Tools XMI Update
This CASE Tools XMI Update adds support for:
- Visio 2002 (Professional or Enterprise Architect)
- Rational Rose*
- XMI file format
Microsoft Visio and Rational Rose are specialized tools used to create UML models. The models can then be exported from Microsoft Visio or Rational Rose to an intermediate format such as the Microsoft Repository or an XML Metadata Interchange (XMI) file.
XMI is an Object Management Group (OMG) standard that specifies how to store an UML model in an XML file. With the CASE Tools XMI Update, ArcGIS can read models in XMI files as well as models stored in the Microsoft Repository.
Both Rational Rose and Microsoft Visio 2002 users will need to update their ArcGIS software to include XMI support. See Notes for Microsoft Visio Users and Notes for Rational Rose Users below.
* Rational Rose is currently unsupported. Support will be added with the Unisys release of the Rational Rose XMI Add-in version 1.3.5. See the section for Rational Rose Users below for more information on how to obtain the Rational Rose XMI Add-in version 1.3.5 when it is available.
|Operating System:||Windows NT 4, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, or Windows XP Home Edition|
|ArcGIS Software:||ArcGIS 8.2 (CASE tool functionality is only available in ArcEditor and ArcInfo. Relationships and geometric networks are read-only in ArcView.)|
These files are installed in arcexe82\bin:
For Rational Rose:
The CASE Tools XMI update installs new templates for Rational Rose under arcexe82\CaseTools\Uml Models.
For Visio 2002:
The CASE Tools XMI Update installs new templates for Visio 2002 under arcexe82\CaseTools\Uml Models.
Installing CASE Tools XMI Update
- Close all other applications running on your computer.
- Log in as a user with administrative privileges.
- Click here to download the CASE Tools XMI Update (10MB, self-extracting .exe format). Save the CASE_Update82.exe to a location other than your ArcGIS Desktop installation location.
- Locate the setup.exe file in the folder where the CASE_Update82.exe contents were extracted.
- Double-click setup.exe to start the CASE Tools XMI Update installation. The setup will automatically locate the ArcGIS 8.2 installation location and install the CASE Tools XMI Update software.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the software installation.
Notes for Microsoft Visio Users
The CASE Tools XMI Update installs new templates for Visio 2002. The templates are installed under arcexe82\CaseTools\Uml Models.
Visio 2002 Service Release 1 (SR-1) Update for Visio Professional 2002 Users
The Visio 2002 Service Release 1 Update is required for the CASE Tools XMI Update. To obtain and install the update go to http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/V10R1PEN.aspx.
Visio 2002 UML to XMI Export Facility Installation Steps
Visio 2002 no longer supports the Microsoft Repository; instead Visio 2002 supports exporting UML models as XML files. XML file support can be added to Visio 2002 by installing the XMI Export facility. The updated CASE Tools support the generation of schema and code from repositories stored in XMI.
- Download the UML to XMI Export functionality and save the XMIExport file on your computer. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvisio02/html/umlxmi.asp.
- Double-click on XMIExport.exe to begin the file extraction. In the folder where the file's contents are extracted, you will find the XMIExport.dll, copy this file to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Visio10\DLL.
- DO NOT create the VisioUmlAddon.vsl file as described on the XMI Export download web page. Instead, copy the arcexe82\CaseTools\Utilities\ESRI XMI Export.vsl to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Visio10\1033\Solutions\Visio Extras.
The ESRI XMI Export.vsl file is a replacement for the VisioUmlAddon.vsl file. The VisioUmlAddon.vsl file has a dependency on Developer Studio. Note, the ESRI XMI Export.vsl file, removes this dependency.
- The uml.dtd file must be in the directory containing the exported models (the file may be empty).
Notes for Rational Rose Users*
Connectivity Rules cannot be modeled in Rational Rose because n-ary associations and stereotyping association ends are not supported paradigms. These two UML constructs are used to design edge-junction and edge-edge rules.
The CASE Tools XMI update installs new templates for Rational Rose. The templates are installed under arcexe82\CaseTools\Uml Models.
Rational Rose XMI Add-in Installation Steps
The Rational Rose XMI Add-in is a new revision of UML 1.3 and MOF 1.3 XMI support. The updated CASE Tools support the generation of schema and code from repositories stored in XMI.
- Click the "XMI Add-in" link on http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21131368.
- Extract and save the UnisysRoseXMLTools.exe to your computer.
- Double-click the UnisysRoseXMLTools.exe to begin the Rational Rose XMI Add-in installation.
* Rational Rose is currently unsupported. Support will be added with the Unisys release of the Rational Rose XMI Add-in version 1.3.5.
To learn learn about building geodatabases with CASE Tools, read Building Geodatabases with CASE Tools (2.2MB, PDF format).
To learn learn about building geodatabases with Rational Rose, read Building Geodatabases with Rational Rose (1.7MB, PDF format).
These files can also be found in the Documentation folder where you extracted the contents of CASE_Update82.exe.
Get help from ArcGIS experts
Download the Esri Support App