Patches and updates
ArcGIS Server Documentation Improvements
In late 2006, ESRI released ArcGIS Server 9.2 with comparatively basic documentation, particularly for developers. We knew users would need additional information on methods and best practices for implementing ArcGIS Server, and that this new documentation would need to be relevant to how users would deploy ArcGIS Server in their organizations.
Since the release, we have incrementally added more help content and made a number of improvements and additions to the ArcGIS Server Help Online. We will continue to add new topics, especially as we better understand how users apply ArcGIS Server and the GIS community develops new workflows.
The following is a sampling of the topics that have been added to the ArcGIS Server documentation since the initial release of version 9.2:
- Extended topics on how to publish ArcGIS services from your desktop using ArcCatalog and ArcMap, for example:
- To learn about types of map applications you can publish and some design considerations, see Thinking about maps in web-enabled GIS applications
- To learn more about publishing maps, globes, and models you author in ArcGIS Desktop, seePublishing resources
- To learn more about managing your ArcGIS Server from ArcCatalog, seean Overview of ArcGIS Server administration
- To learn how to design an effective map cache, see Planning a map cache
- Additional developer documentation and examples for customizing and extending ArcGIS Server in both .NET and Java, for example:
- To use the Java framework for building custom web applications, start with this topic on an Introduction to the Web ADF
- To program against the SOAPXML web services that youcan publish with ArcGISServer, get started by reading the ArcGIS Server SOAP API Overview, or read Overview of Web Services, SOAP and WSDL
- To add custom tasks to browser-based web applications using the ArcGIS Server Web Application Development Framework(ADF), see Task framework (in .NET), or see Introduction to the Tasks Framework (Java)
- More detailed instructions for ArcGIS Server administrative workflows, for example:
- To learn how to configure a multiple-machine deployment of ArcGIS Server, see Configuring a distributed installation of ArcGIS Server
- To learn how to administer an ArcGIS Explorer home server, see What is an Explorer home server?
- New methods and developer examples on the ArcGIS Server Development Blog. It includes tips and best practices that will help you become more effective using and customizing ArcGIS Server.
- Frequent updates to the ArcGIS Server Help Online. You can access this latest version of the help, which is updated weekly, at #EsriSupport/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.webHelp.agServer.