Patches and updates
ArcGIS 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 geodatabase direct connect for 9.2 clients
Introducing the ArcGIS® 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 geodatabase direct connect for 9.2 clients setup
The ability to make a direct connection from an ArcGIS or ArcIMS® 9.2 Service Pack 5 or higher release client application to an ArcGIS 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 geodatabase allows sites to incrementally upgrade their ESRI® software. Various groups within an organization may have different requirements and timelines that necessitate their client applications remain at 9.2 Service Pack 5 while other groups want to upgrade to 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 clients. With the ArcGIS 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 geodatabase direct connect for 9.2 clients installation, you can upgrade your geodatabase to an ArcSDE® 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 release so your 9.2 clients can take advantage of functionality present in the software at 9.3.1 Service Pack 2, and leave other users on 9.2 Service Pack 5 or later service pack clients—and they will still be able to make a direct connection to the geodatabase.
This is accomplished by installing ArcSDE 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 library files on the 9.2 Service Pack 5 or later service pack release client machines.
When you run the setup on the client machine, it detects which client applications are present so it can install the files in the correct locations.
The setup also detects if you have an ArcSDE component installed. Possible installations include the following:
- ArcSDE C API client (CAPISDK)
ArcSDE for DB2®
ArcSDE Java™ client (JavaSDK)
ArcSDE for Oracle®
ArcSDE for Microsoft® SQL Server® (Windows® installations only)
Installing the direct connect drivers for any one of these will install all supported versions of the direct connect drivers for that component. For example, installing the files for an ArcSDE C API client will install the 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 direct connect drivers for DB2, Oracle, and SQL Server. Installing the files for ArcSDE for Oracle installs the 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 direct connect drivers for Oracle9i and Oracle 10g.
Installing files to make direct connections from a 9.2 Service Pack 5 or higher client to an ArcSDE 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 geodatabase
Files can be installed to allow the following ArcGIS 9.2 Service Pack 5 or higher release service pack clients to connect to an ArcSDE 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 geodatabase:
- ArcGIS Desktop
ArcGIS Engine Runtime
ArcGIS Server (including the ArcSDE component)
Custom ArcSDE C or Java clients
Note: Direct connections from 9.2 Service Pack 5 or higher clients to the following ArcSDE geodatabases are not supported:
- ArcSDE 9.3 for Oracle® 11g
ArcSDE 9.3 for Informix®
ArcSDE 9.3 for PostgreSQL
ArcSDE 9.3 for IBM® DB2® z/OS
How to install direct connect files
- Download the .zip file and extract it to a local disk:
Windows sde92-931sp2directconnect.zip63 MB
Note: You must have Windows administrator priviledges to install this software.
- After extracting the zip file, run the setup.exe. Click Next to move on from the Welcome dialog box.
- Read and accept the license agreement. If you do not accept the license agreement, the installation will terminate. Click Next.
- The setup will search the computer for all possible client and ArcSDE component installations to determine where to install the files. Once it determines which applications are present, it returns a list of possible direct connect driver installations.
- Choose the client or clients from which you want to be able to directly connect to an ArcSDE 9.3.1 Service Pack 2 geodatabase. If you want to install the files for all the clients on that machine, leave all of them selected.
To install the files for only certain clients, click the clients for which you do not want to install the direct connect files and choose the Entire feature will be unavailable.
Note: If you have ArcSDE for SQL Server installed, choosing SQL Server on the Select Features dialog box only applies to ArcSDE for SQL Server licensed through ArcGIS Server Enterprise and does not apply to ArcSDE for SQL Server Express. That is because the files for ArcSDE for SQL Server Express are included in your client installations. Direct connect drivers for that get installed when you choose to install the drivers for your client installation.
- Click Next to progress to the next dialog box, then click Next again to start the installation.
- When the files are successfully installed, click Finish on the final dialog box of the installation wizard.
- Download the .gz file and extract it to a local disk:
UNIX / Linux sde92-931sp2directconnect.tar.gz285 MB
- Run the setup script on the client machine. Be sure to run this as a user who has write permissions to the client installation directories.
- Choose the geodatabase release to which you want the client applications to be able to make a direct connection.
The list of direct connection files available can include the following:
- After making your selections, click Next to begin the installation.
How to identify which Patches or Service Packs are installed
To find out what ArcGIS products are currently installed on your machine, download the PatchFinder931.exe utility and run it from your local machine.
To find out what ArcGIS products are currently installed on your machine, download and extract the PatchFinder utility and run it from your local machine.
Check the Online Support Center periodically for the availability of additional Patches or Service Packs. New information about this Patch will be posted here.
Domestic sites, please contact ESRI Technical Support at 1-888-377-4575, if you have any difficulty installing this Service Pack. International sites, please contact your local ESRI software distributor.
Get help from ArcGIS experts
Download the Esri Support App