When trying to create a project with one of the ArcGIS Server .NET ADF templates in Visual Studio .NET 2003, the following error is returned:
"Web Site on server <host> is not available"
The templates include a property calling the URL 'http://localhost'. This error will be displayed if localhost has been disabled in IIS.
Localhost may have been disabled in IIS because your website was assigned a specific IP address for the network or for security reasons.
Solution or Workaround
Enable the access to the URL http://localhost depending on which type of operating system is installed, non-server or server.
- For non-Server Windows operating systems
1. Right-click in the Internet Information Services console and select Properties to open the Properties dialog box for the website.
2. Change the IP Address field to "(All Unassigned)".
3. Restart IIS
Browsing to http://localhost in Internet Explorer enabled and creating projects with templates in Visual Studio .NET 2003 should now be successful.
- On Windows Server operating systems
1. Create a new web site in the Internet Information Services console.
2. Assign it to the IP Address 127.0.0.1 (localhost). This will enable the site on the local machine only.
3. Browse to your web site root directory, e.g. C:\Inetput\wwwroot
Creating a projects with templates in Visual Studio .NET 2003 should now be successful.