This issue is addressed in the ArcGIS Desktop 9.1 Raster patch.
A CCITT G4 TIFF displays incorrectly when viewing in ArcMap.
This is a known issue.
Download the patch by clicking on the link in Related Information, below.
If the patch is not available to you, follow the steps below to remove the CCITT G4 compression, allowing the TIFF to display correctly.
- Start ArcMap.
- Create a new UIButtonControl.
- Select Tools > Customize to open the Customize dialog box.
- Select the Commands tab.
- Select [UIControls] from the Categories list box.
- Select Untitled from the Save In drop-down list to save the button to this map document. Select Normal to save the button to all ArcMap documents on the machine.
- Click New UIControl.
- Select UIButtonControl and click Create.
- Drag the new UIButtonControl to the toolbar of choice.
- Close the Customize dialog box.
For more information on creating a UIControl, see the ArcGIS Desktop Help topic 'How to create custom commands with VBA.'
- Right-click the UIButtonControl and select View Source.
- Copy this code into the UIButtonControl's click event.