Instructions provided describe the steps for turning off MapTips transparency in ArcReader, using the ArcReader Configuration tool. This prevents the tip from becoming transparent when hovering over a feature that has defined MapTips.
The Developer Toolkit must be installed to access the ArcReader Configuration tool in ArcGIS 9.0 and ArcGIS 9.1. If using ArcGIS version 9.2 or 9.3, the ArcReader Configuration tool (ARConfig.exe) is located in the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Bin directory.
Once installed, verify ArcReader is not running before proceeding with the following steps:
- Navigate, in Windows Explorer, to the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit\tools folder or the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Bin folder, if using ArcGIS version 9.2 or 9.3.
- Double-click the ARConfig.exe file.
- Click, when the first screen appears, the User button to open the template file in the current user's profile.
- Click the View tab in the ArcReader Configuration Properties dialog box.
ArcReader Configuration Properties - View tab
- In the Transparent Tooltip section, uncheck the box for 'Use transparent tooltips'.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
- Click Exit.
To apply these changes to multiple machines, copy and paste the ArcReader.art template file to each machine in the following directory before using ArcReader.
C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\Application Data\ESRI\ArcReader\Templates
ArcGIS versions 9.2 and 9.3 embed the settings made to the ArcReader template in the Publisher Settings on the ArcReader tab. This allows the settings to be stored in the published map, so that they are available in ArcReader standalone.