This article pertains to retired ArcGIS versions 8.x and 9.x only. Later versions of ArcGIS may contain different functionality, as well as different names and locations for menus, commands and geoprocessing tools.
When dragging the first or last vertex of a selected topology edge, the following error message is displayed:
"The edge cannot be modified. The endpoint of an edge cannot be modified if it is shared by other topology elements."
The first and last vertex of a selected topology edge must be edited as topology nodes.
Solution or Workaround
- Navigate to Editor > Options.
- Click the Topology tab.
- Check on the Unselected Nodes option to symbolize the topology nodes.
- Click Apply and OK to close the Options dialog box.
- Click the Topology Edit tool from the Topology toolbar.
- Select the topology node to edit. Holding the 'N' key while dragging a selection box with the Topology Edit tool restricts the selection to only topology nodes.
- Hover over the selected topology node until the cursor changes. Click and drag the topology node to the desired location.