A particular workflow exists that causes a feature dataset to become a mixed-precision dataset. If certain steps are applied to a low-precision feature dataset in a 9.2 or greater geodatabase, it may result in the dataset being incorrectly marked as high precision, without the ability to revert to the original low-precision coordinate system.
The following workflow can cause this behavior:
1) In ArcCatalog, right-click a low-precision feature dataset and choose Properties.
2) Choose the XY Coordinate System tab.
3) Change the spatial reference to a different spatial reference.
4) Click Apply.
• The feature dataset and underlying feature classes report as high precision until the client application is restarted.
• After client is restarted, feature classes point correctly to low precision, but the feature dataset is still be flagged as high precision.
In a case with a 9.2 or greater geodatabase, the reverse pattern cannot be applied as only high-precision spatial references can be created.