Solution or Workaround
What options are available when a printer is not listed in the list of printers in the HyperHelp Printer Setup?
The list of printers supported by HyperHelp does not list every possible printer.
There are five options when a particular printer is not listed:
1. Obtain the correct PostScript Printer Definition (PPD) file from the printer manufacturer or from Adobe. When the .ppd file is obtained, it should be copied with a .ps extension into the $HHHOME/xprinter/ppds directory. Once HyperHelp is restarted, the newly installed printer driver appears in the Print Setup > Install > Add Printer dialog.
2. Identify if the desired printer can emulate another printer. If so, see if the emulated printer is listed in HyperHelp's printer list.
3. Use the Generic PostScript printer driver. This should work for most PostScript capable printers.
4. Print to a file (as either a EPS, PCL4, or PCL5), then use either lp or lpr to send the file to the printer at the UNIX prompt.
5. Print directly to the printer without using a HyperHelp driver (as either a EPS, PCL4, or PCL5). This can be done by:
a) Identifying the command used at the UNIX prompt to send a file to the printer. ("lp -d laser4" is one example.)
b) In Printer Setup window, Selecting "Generic (File Only)"
c) In the "File Name" window, enter the name of your printer preceded by a "!". "!lp -d laser4"
d) Click on "Apply" to make the selection active for the current session, or "Save" to make this setting the permanent default for the account.
The topic can now be sent to the printer without using a HyperHelp printer driver.