The Metadata Editor doesn't appear when clicking the Edit Metadata button in ArcCatalog.
This is a known issue.
Solution or Workaround
The following is a potential solution:
- In Arc Catalog select Tools > Options and select the Metadata tab.
- Uncheck the following check boxes:
- Automatically create metadata the first time an item in the Catalog is viewed in the Metadata tab
- Automatically update metadata whenever an item's metadata is viewed in the Metadata tab
- Re-check both check boxes.
- Click Apply and OK.