After installing the ArcView 3.x patch for Windows XP, the software compatibility problems still occur.
The machine was set to compatibility mode prior to installing the patch.
Solution or Workaround
Manually reset the machine to run ArcView 3.x in compatibility mode using the following procedure.
- Navigate to Start > All Programs > ESRI > ArcView GIS and right click on ArcView GIS.
- Click Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab.
- Check the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' box and
select Windows 95 as the compatible operating system.
- Check the 'Disable visual themes' box.
- Click Apply and then OK to close the Properties dialog.