The ArcMap GeoProcessing wizard Merge tool fails when trying to merge layers.
One of the layers being merged may contain a record with no shape, or in other words, a record that has a null geometry.
Solution or Workaround
This issue has been addressed in ArcGIS Version 8.1.2.
In ArcGIS 8.1, determine which layer contains records with null geometry and delete the offending records. If the layer is a shapefile, you can export the layer to a new shapefile. Exporting from a shapefile to a new shapefile will clean the output of any null geometries.
To identify and delete the records with null geometry, do the following for each layer you wish to merge.
- Zoom out to the full extent of your map. You can use the Full Extent button of the Tools toolbar.
Make sure all your features are visible.
- Click Tools > Select Features.
- Click and drag a box around all the features.
- Open the attribute table of the first layer you want to merge.
- Click Options > Switch Selection. Records with null or empty geometry will be highlighted.
- Click the Editor Toolbar button of the main toolbar.
- Select Start Editing from the Editor dropdown menu.
- Press the Delete key.
- Select Stop Editing from the Editor dropdown menu. Save your edits.