When working with dynamic labels in ArcMap, some changes to label text symbol properties are not reflected on the map. Also, when reopening the Symbol Properties dialog box, the changed properties are reset to their original values.
Some text symbol properties are not used by ArcMap's label placement engine. The following text symbol properties are not used:
· Vertical Alignment
· Flip Angle
· Horizontal Alignment, occasionally
Solution or Workaround
Read below for details on how each text symbol property works when using dynamic labels in ArcMap. See the following graphic of the Text Symbol Properties Editor.
- The Angle property of the text symbol is ignored by the label engine; however there is a method for rotating labels for point features. See the corresponding link in the Related Information section.
- The Vertical Alignment text symbol property for labels is always 'Bottom'. If this setting is changed, it will be reset when the dialog box is reopened. To modify the placement of the text string with respect to the baseline geometry, enter a Y-Offset.
- The Flip Angle text symbol property for labels is always '90 degrees'. If this is changed, the setting resets to 90 when the dialog box is reopened.
- The Horizontal Alignment text symbol property is used by the standard label engine; however, the map only reflects changes to this setting if the text is multi-line or 'stacked'. Also, if the option 'Produce labels that follow the curve of the line' is checked, then the labels are always 'Left' aligned. If the Horizontal Alignment setting is changed, it is reset to 'Left' when the dialog box is reopened.