In ArcMap, all folders in the Style Manager dialog appear empty. No new styles can be created, and no new symbols can be added to an existing style.
In other cases, the symbols may fail to display or intermittently appear and disappear.
Libraries for Microsoft Access may not be properly registered. To test and determine if this is the cause, open Microsoft Access and attempt to create a new Access database (.mdb). If a new Access database cannot be created, refer to the solution below.
Click Start > Run and register the following files:
The paths to these files depends on the computer operating system and the version of Microsoft Office installed on the computer.
A sample of the command syntax to enter in the Windows Run dialog box is as follows:
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\dao\dao360.dll"
Here are samples of the possible locations for these files:
• C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\dao\dao360.dll
• C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OfficeXX\msacc.olb
• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\dao\dao360.dll
• C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OfficeXX\msacc.olb
This may also be related to the problem described in Knowledge Base article 39798, in which the user is unable to open a personal geodatabase (.mdb), access data stored in the personal geodatabase, or create a new personal geodatabase.
If attempting to register either of the above files returns an error or fails:
• Perform a clean uninstall and reinstallation of ArcGIS for Desktop.
• Uninstall any custom styles or third-party extensions and styles.
• The user profile may be corrupt. Check the installation by logging in to another account on the system or network. If necessary, repair the corrupt user profile.
• Review the installation or administrative rights of Microsoft Access on the system.
If further assistance is needed, contact Esri Support Services at 888-377-4575 or at support.esri.com.