The following errors may occur when you insert the ArcView 8.1, 8.1.2, or 8.2 Evaluation Edition CD and Autorun starts (Windows NT/Windows 2000/Windows XP*), or when you try to run ESRI.exe with Polish and Lithuanian language support (English Windows 2000/Windows XP* enabled for Polish and Lithuanian): "A Fatal Error has occurred. Click OK to Quit." And after clicking OK: "Runtime Error! Program:D\ViewSW\Esri.exe abnormalprogram termination"*ArcView 8.1 is not supported on Windows XP.
For the ArcView 8.1, 8.1.2, 8.2 Evaluation Edition CD, please do the following to launch CD-A and CD-B:
Hold the Control (Ctrl) key on your keyboard while launching the CD. You can launch either CD-ROM by inserting in your CD drive. If Autorun is disabled, double-click ESRI.exe on the CD to start.
For just the ArcView 8.1 Evaluation Edition CD, please do the following to launch CD-A and CD-B:
1) Copy the ViewSW folder from the root of the ArcView 8.1 Evaluation Edition CD to your hard drive.
2) Remove the CD from the CD drive.
3) Open the following folder: ViewSW -> Xtras -> Media Support.
4) Delete the three files that begin with "Font."
5) After deleting the three files, return to the root of the ViewSW folder and launch esri.exe and wait for it to start up. You will receive an error saying the Font Xtra is not present. Close out of the error box. The application will now begin.
Get help from ArcGIS experts
Download the Esri Support App