Problems may occur if you are importing an ArcView 3.x project file, and you choose to import a layout that has one or more view frames that are not live-linked. ArcMap may crash at the point you click that layout in the Import dialog, or you may not get all your view frames imported.
This is a known issue.
Solution or Workaround
- This problem is addressed in ArcGIS 8.1 Service Pack 1. To download the Service Pack, click on the link below. Continue by clicking on ArcInfo Desktop > ArcGIS Service Pack 1. Follow download instructions.
- Otherwise, if you have ArcView 3.x, you can edit the project file as follows:
1. Open the project and the layout document you want to import.
2. Double-click each viewframe to see its properties.
3. Make sure the Live-link check box is checked.
4. Save the project and try importing it in ArcMap again.