This problem is addressed in ArcGIS 8.1 Service Pack 1. See Related Information section to download this pack.
ArcMap may crash if you attempt to set a bookmark by: selecting a feature from the Find Features results list, right-clicking, and selecting Set Bookmarks from the popup menu. This crash may occur with personal Geodatabase and SDE feature classes.
The crash only occurs when the primary display field for the selected feature is null. The primary display field is used to name the bookmark.
Solution or Workaround
Before setting a bookmark from the Find Features list, make sure the primary display field for the feature you want to set a bookmark for is not null.
- Determine the primary display field for the layer by double-clicking the layer and selecting the Fields tab on the Layer Properties dialog box.
- Right-click the feature in the Find Features results
- Select Identify Feature(s) from the context menu
- See if there is a value associated with the primary display field.
- If the value is null, set the primary display field to a field that contains a value for this feature.