When a client requests an image from an ArcMap Service no image is returned.
There may be a number of reasons for this including:
1. The ArcIMS site output directory path does not match the virtual directory path setting in the web server.
2. The ArcMap document that you are serving contains an empty layer, that is a layer without any features, or an empty group layer.
3. The map you are serving contains layers referencing ArcSDE data or layers referencing database data using direct connect. If the connection to the ArcSDE server or to the database is broken no features will be returned and the map image will be blank.
4. The link between a layer in the map and the data source the layer is referencing has been broken.
5. One of the data frame names of the ArcMap document being served contains a slash (\ or /).
For ArcIMS versions 4.0 and 4.0.1 there is no automatic recovery for ArcMap Services when the connection to an ArcSDE server is reestablished. The service needs to be recreated manually or through recycling. Until this is done the features will not draw.
Get help from ArcGIS experts
Download the Esri Support App