The aimsdefaults.properties file located under $HOME for the ArcIMS user, holds all the information about the ArcIMS Settings for the Site Properties. The contents of the file is erased and the file size is 0 KB.
This problem has been reported to occur:
1. When the Site Properties for ArcIMS 4.0.1 in the Administrator is completed, the prompt for the Site Properties repeats when logging in the next time.
2. While unable to create a map service in the Adminstrator.
3. When errors in the Adminstrator's Message Console include Memory errors such as:
4. While unable to log in to the Administrator. One of the most common errors is:
"URL Invalid or ArcIMS is not running"
5. When map services created during the first login no longer run adequately.
This is a known issue only with ArcIMS 4.0.1.
Solution or Workaround
The following procedure will eliminate the above mentioned errors due to the aimsdefaults.properties file being empty:
- Navigate to the Home Directory for the ArcIMS user ($HOME).
- If the aimsdefaults.properties file is empty, delete the file.
If not, manually edit the file to make sure the values for each variable accurately reflects the configuration.
- For convenience, an aimsdefaults.properties template file is located under $AIMSHOME/Xenv directory.
Here are the contents of the template:
# ArcIMS v4.0.1 Site Properties Settings
#UserName - Login for the ArcIMS Administrator
#HostName - Full name of the host machine. The full name of the host machine may
# mean including the domain name. For UNIX users, you will need to
# include the domain name.
#HostALIAS - Alias of the host machine
#HostURL - URL of the host machine
#WorkingDir - Default working directory, where map configuration files are stored
#WebSiteDir - Default web site directory, where created sites are stored
#ImagePath - Path to the image output directory
#ImageURL - URL for image output (Using HostURL)
#Scavenger - Scavenger cleanup interval in minutes
#IndexBuilderEXE - Path of the geocoding index builder (aimsindxb.exe)
#WebBrowser - Location of default web browser (required for OnLine Help)
#WebBrowser.usesQuotes - Netscape 6 users must switch this value to true
#ArcIMSHelp - Main HTML page for ArcIMS OnLine Help
#ImageMemory - Amount of memory to reserve for Spatial Server images
#MaxImageMemory - Maximum Image memory Limit allowed in Megabytes
#ForceAddServers - Upon launching of ArcIMS Manager, if "true", a default server is added
# to each monitors with no servers associated with it; if "false", no servers are added
- If the file in $HOME was deleted, copy the template to the $HOME directory.
- Open the aimsdefaults.properties file in a text editor and manually edit the values to each variable to reflect the configuration.
- Save the file and change the permissions of the file to 'read only'.
On UNIX, change the file to read only with the following:
chmod 444 aimsdefaults.properties