When resetting the password for an ArcGIS Server account using the 'Configure ArcGIS Server Account' utility, the following error is returned: "Invalid password specified for arcgis."
During the installation of ArcGIS for Server, the ArcGIS Server account is created on Windows, and a password is established. This error occurs when the password for the account is changed via an operating system process, but the password is not updated by the 'Configure ArcGIS Server Account' wizard. To complete successfully, the wizard requires the valid password contained in the operating system.
Solution or Workaround
Follow the instructions provided to change the password of the ArcGIS Server account in Windows and in the ArcGIS Server Service account.
- Click the Start button.
- Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
- In the left pane of the Computer Management window, expand Local Users and Groups.
- Select the Users folder.
- Right-click the 'arcgis' icon, and click Set Password.
- Select Proceed, and enter the new password twice.
- Click Apply.
- In the left pane of the Computer Management window, expand Services and Applications, and click Services.
- Right-click the ArcGIS Server service, and select Properties.
- Click the Log On tab.
- Update the password to match the reset password for 'arcgis'.
- Click Apply, and click OK.
- Stop and restart the ArcGIS Server service.
The new password of the ArcGIS Server account is now updated.
If the ArcGIS Server account password is updated and the ArcGIS Server Service account password is not updated, the service fails to start, resulting in the server being down.