Instructions provided are for making a connection to an Oracle database using the Microsoft OLE DB provider for ODBC drivers.
- Use an existing Oracle ODBC DSN (data source name) or set up a new Oracle ODBC DSN using the Windows Data Sources (ODBC) utility and an appropriate ODBC driver.
- Once the DSN is created, double-click the Add OLE DB connection option from within ArcCatalog or ArcMAP to call the Data Link Properties menu.
- On the first panel, make sure the Microsoft OLE DB provider for ODBC drivers is selected. This is the default option.
Microsoft OLE DB Providers are included with ArcGIS.
The list may be different than this example, as proprietary and third-party OLE DB providers for other data sources may be installed on the machine being used.
- Click the Connection tab.
Select 'Use data source name'.
Select the DSN item to be used.
- Add a valid RDBMS username and password in the appropriate boxes.
Check the Allow saving password box.
The DataLink Properties sheet (Connection tab) when using the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC. Enter the Username and Password for connections that require them (Oracle, SQL Server, etc.)
- Verify the new connection by clicking Test Connection. Close the Data Link Properties menu. You will see a new OLE DB connection object under Database Connections in the TOC.