This document provides step-by-step instructions for uninstalling or disabling IIS 4.0/5.0/5.1 Web server on Windows NT/2000/XP.
Internet Information Services (IIS) is installed on Windows Servers by default. It is possible to remove IIS by using the Add/Remove Programs application in the Control Panel. It is also possible to disable IIS in the services control panel if you wish to use another Web server.
1. Open the Control Panel and navigate to Add/Remove Programs.
2. Select Add/Remove Windows Components from the left-hand panel.
3. Uncheck the box beside Internet Information Services (IIS).
4. Follow the onscreen instructions to remove components of IIS.
If you upgraded to Windows 2000, IIS 5.0 will be installed by default only if IIS was installed on your previous version of Windows.
1. Open the Services Panel.
2. Select IIS Admin Service.
3. Stop the service.
4. Right-click IIS Admin Service and select Properties.
5. Change 'Start Up Type' to 'Disabled'.
6. Repeat the above steps for the FTP Publishing Service, Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) Service, and World Wide Web Publishing Service.