The content in this article pertains to ArcGIS versions 8.x and 9.x only. Later versions of ArcGIS may contain different functionality, as well as different names and locations for menus, commands and geoprocessing tools. For more current information, see: Transferring licenses from one license manager to another
Instructions provided are the procedures for transferring the license manager from one Windows computer to another.
- Locate the original .EFL or .EFL9 license file used to install the license manager. Open it in Notepad.
- Change the hostname. For example, change 'oldcomputer' to 'newcomputer' in the following example:
SERVER oldcomputer ESRI_SENTINEL_KEY=37100000 27004
SERVER newcomputer ESRI_SENTINEL_KEY=37100000 27004
If the original license file can not be located, request a new license file. See the link in the Related Information section below.
- Uninstall the ESRI or ArcGIS License Manager from the existing computer.
- Navigate to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
- Select the ESRI License Manager and/or ArcGIS License Manager
- Click Remove.
- Continue by following the remaining prompts.
- Remove the hardware key from the existing computer.
- Install the License Manager software using the ArcGIS Desktop installation disk. When prompted, browse to the edited or new license file. At the end of the installation, insert the hardware key when prompted and reboot the computer.
- On the client machines where ArcGIS Desktop is installed, navigate to Start > Programs > ArcGIS > Desktop Administrator.
- Select License Manager.
- Click Change.
- Type the hostname of the new license manager computer.