Instructions provided describe how to prepare data to sort features' attributes from North to South, South to North, East to West, or West to East in Excel.
If the X and Y fields are already in a feature class, right-click the feature in the Table of Contents, click Open Attribute table, and skip to step 6.
- Open a new Map Document. Add the feature class or shapefile.
- Right-click the feature class > Open Attribute table.
- Click Options > Add Field. Set the name of the field to X, and the type to Double. Click OK.
- Click Options > Add Field. Set the name of the field to Y, and the type to Double. Click OK.
- Right-click the field header for X > Calculate Geometry. Set the property to X coordinate, and set the desired unit (e.g. Decimal Degrees or Feet). Click OK. Repeat this step except for the Y field and the Y coordinate.
- Click Options > Export.
- Open the table in Excel.
- Sort the features:
North to South > Right-click the Y field, sort Ascending.
South to North > Right-click the Y field, sort Descending.
East to West > Right-click the X field, sort Ascending.
West to East > Right-click the X field, sort Descending.
- Save the table as .xls or .dbf.