While going through the Quick Start tutorial in the book "Using ArcGIS Survey Analyst", the Link and Unlink commands are not enabled, and some feature layers do not appear in the Editor's target layer drop-down list. This occurs specifically on page 39, and only when you are running an ArcView 8.3 license.
The ParcelLines feature class has subtypes, and subtypes are not supported with ArcView. Since this feature class has subtypes and is in a feature dataset, the other feature classes in the same feature dataset cannot be edited.
The solution is to substitute the Arizona geodatabase with a newer one. The new geodatabase is provided and can be downloaded from one of the steps below. Proceed through these steps:
- Save edits, save the map document, and close ArcMap.
- Click on this link: Arizona.zip and follow the steps to download the zip file onto your local hard drive.
- Extract the new Arizona geodatabase from the zip file into a directory on your local hard drive.
- Replace the existing Arizona geodatabase with the new one.
- Continue with the tutorial by double-clicking on the saved map document.