Instructions provided describe how to retain elevation values when converting from a shapefile to CAD.
- Open the attribute table of the shapefile, add a new field of type Double and name it 'Elevation'.
- Calculate the Elevation field equal to the field within the attribute table that contains the elevation values.
· If the shapefile is a polyline or polygon and there is no field that contains the elevation, populate the field manually.
· If the shapefile has a pointZ and there is no field that contains the elevation, navigate to ArcToolbox > Data Management Tools > Features > Add XY Coordinates. This creates an X,Y, and Z field within the point shapefile. Calculate the Elevation field to equal the Z field.
- Export the shapefile to CAD by navigating to ArcToolbox > Conversion Tools > To CAD > Export to CAD.
- Open the attribute table of the CAD output. The 'Elevation' field is populated.