In some instances, it may be necessary to export the list of layers and properties such as name, data sources, symbologies, representation, and the definition queries of a map document to a report or table format. This allows sharing of dataset properties being used or modified by other users.
This can be done by using the X-Ray for ArcMap add-in. The X-Ray add-in provides an inventory of information about a map document. As well as documenting layers and their properties into one HTML document, this add-in also has the following functionalities:
- The X-Ray Map Differences button that generates a report of differences between the current map document in ArcMap and another map document selected in the Catalog window.
- The Edit Layers option, which opens an Excel file for the layers in the map document and allows users to edit each layer's description.
- The Synchronize field aliases for layers and source datasets.
To generate the map document properties report, follow the instructions below:
- Download the X-Ray for ArcMap add-in.
- Open the downloaded file.
- In the Esri ArcGIS Add-In Installation Utility window, click Install Add-In.
- Click OK on the installation success pop-up box.
- On the ArcMap main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > X-Ray for ArcMap.
- On the X-Ray for ArcMap toolbar, click the Combines the 3 Layer Reports into one Html document button to generate the X-Ray report for all the layers in a map document.
The image below shows the resulting X-Ray report generated for a map document.