Instructions provided describe the steps to make Oracle database authentication connections using the Oracle Instant Client and a Net Service Name. See Knowledge Base article 42269 for more information.
- Download the (32-bit) Oracle Instant Client from the ESRI Customer Care Portal, and unzip it to a location on the local ArcGIS Desktop machine. Change the name of the folder if desired.
- Add the Oracle Instant Client path to the beginning of the existing PATH (operating system) Environment Variable.
- Create a file called 'TNSNAMES.ORA' inside the Oracle Instant Client directory, and add an entry in the file specifying a desired Net Service Name, the Host machine name (with the local domain), and the Service Name.
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ORASRVR.<yourDOMAINNAME>)(PORT = 1521))
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = ORCL)
- Create an Environment Variable on the Windows operating system called 'TNS_ADMIN' that references the location of the Oracle Instant Client directory.
- Launch ArcCatalog and make a connection using the Net Service Name and selecting the Database Authentication option from the drop-down, and specify a username and password.