When the autocad dxf or dwg line files are converted into a shapefile the solid entities are not displayed in the view. However the entities' attributes are retained in the shapefile attribute table.
The following illustrates the steps needed to create a line shapefile from an autocad layer with solid entities:
- Add .dwg or .dxf file to an ArcView View.
Make certain the Cad Reader Extension is turned on.
- Select only solid entities, and click Theme > Convert to Shapefile. Specify the name and location for the new file, and click Ok.
- Select all entities except solids, and click Theme > Convert to Shapefile. Specify the name and location for the new file, and click Ok.
- Convert the polygon shapefile to a polyline shapefile using the sample script, "cvtplypl.ave", located in the $AVHOME/samples/scripts directory.
- Merge both polyline shapefiles together using the merge function provided in the Geoprocessing Wizard.
For more information, refer to "CAD drawings and Arcview feature classes" in the Arcview on-line help.