In most cases, ArcGIS Desktop extensions are installed with the core product, simply by enabling these extensions via the Desktop menu bar. However, if installing extensions from a CD, the following prerequisites are needed:
- The same ArcGIS Desktop CD that was used to install the core ArcGIS Desktop software.
- If using ArcGIS Concurrent, it is necessary to have the proper licenses installed and running on the license server.
- If using ArcView or ArcEditor Single Use, the UNK or EVA registration number(s) are needed for the extension(s) being installed.
- Save and close any active programs.
- Insert the proper ArcGIS Desktop CD into the CD-ROM drive.
- When the auto-install is activated, click the Modify button.
- Click the plus (+) sign to expand the Extensions menu.
- Pull down the menu to the left of the extension to be installed and select Entire feature will be installed on local hard drive.
- Click Next.
- Once the install completes activate the extensions.
To use an extension there must be a valid license.
- Start ArcMap or ArcCatalog.
- Navigate to Tools > Extensions.
- At ArcGIS 10.x, the menu name changed, navigate to Customize > Extensions.
- Check the extensions to activate.
- Click Close.